1970 - 1980
The 1970s reflected the cultural development of the city of Winnipeg and saw its panorama change to become the “Chicago of the North.” During this decade, Smith Carter was responsible for many of the city’s signature projects. These remain as examples of classic modern architecture today.
Private and government investment continued to drive large scale projects such as corporate office towers and hospitals. During this period, the firm designed several downtown headquarters including the international head office for the Great-West Life Assurance Company (1979), the Bank of Montreal Tower (1975), and the Commodity Exchange Tower (1980, formerly known as the Trizec Building). Smith Carter continued to grow and constructed a new office location in 1978. The new office building built immediately behind 1190 Waverley Street was to become known in later as SC2.
During this decade the firm became entrenched in Western Canada, keeping its head office in Winnipeg and opening offices in Brandon and the Lakehead and affiliated offices in Toronto and Los Angeles. The anticipated evolution from domestic to international projects came to pass and the firm participated in projects overseas including the Canadian Embassies in Warsaw, Poland and Moscow.